I’ve been getting tons of potatoes in my Misfits Market Box which has been my favorite co-op box to date! Unlike other CSA boxes I’ve gotten, I’ve been able to customize every week and add on lots of extras that I need. It has been a huge gift getting it delivered to my house every week with exactly what I need. As much as I used to wander the grocery store, it’s not been my favorite activity this past year 🙁 So I am extra grateful for the services and companies that are working extra hard to go above and beyond for their customers this year.
Use this code for 25% off your first box to try it out too!
Ok onto cream of potato soup! With my abundance of potatoes that I keep ordering, I’ve been getting creative beyond my usual roasted potatoes and chicken that I tend to make. I’ve been experimenting a ton with seasonings of essential oils, and I thought it would be awesome to figure out a cream of potato soup. I did a few things to make it extra yummy. I roasted the potatoes instead of just chopping and simmering. Then I added bacon on top which is, of course, a good choice. And then then we added in the veggies on top which gave it a really good blended flavor.
It was truly filling and the true test of kid approval was two thumbs up!
I wouldn’t put this in my lowest maintenance categories of meals, but it did fill the meal in one bowl checkmark!
I’m VERY particular about what essential oils I use, so please read more on my page about why I landed with the essential oils that I did.
- 5-6 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
- ½ pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream or full fat coconut milk
- ½ large onion – chopped
- 4 cloves garlic – chopped
- Thyme essential oil, 1 drop
- Black Pepper essential oil, 1 drop
- 1 TB avocado oil
- Kale, 1 large bunch
- Chard, 1 large bunch
- Preheat oven to 375 while you prep ingredients.
- Cut 5 to 6 medium potatoes into chunks, toss in 1 tablespoon avocado oil and roast at 375 for 30 minutes or until starting to brown.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook half a pound of bacon in a skillet until browned and set aside. Be sure to save bacon drippings in the pan.
- Slice half an onion and chop garlic and saute with leftover bacon grease until softened.
- Add in 6 cups of your homemade chicken broth and 2 tablespoons sea salt and bring to a boil.
- When potatoes are ready, add all the potato chunks into the onions and broth.
- Using an immersion or high speed blender, blend until smooth or desired texture.
- Pour soup back into the pot to cool and prep veggies.
- Chop kale and chard into small 1 in (ish) chunks.
- Saute kale and chard in the leftover bacon grease and season with salt to taste.
- Finish the soup by adding one drop thyme essential oil and one drop black pepper essential oil.. Add ½ cup heavy whipping cream or coconut milk and ¼ cup nutritional yeast.
- Chop bacon and top soup with whatever fixins sound delicious! We spoon in the soup, top with veggies and bacon and devour!