Essential Oils 101

So, you’re curious about essential oils! Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably seen or heard information floating around about essential oils. This is a VERY BASIC Q&A about what essential oils are and what they can do for your family. This does not even scratch the surface of the crazy science behind how they work or the unbelievable research that you can find about them right now.

While I had been in the “alternative” world for quite some time before using them, I was absolutely floored by the results we saw right out of the gate. If you’d like to see what they’ve done for my family, you can click HERE.

Thank you for visiting, and I hope that you’ll join me in jumping into this amazing, healing world of essential oils. While I use a whole array of health tools in our home, essential oils are by far the biggest and most used tool that we have. I am grateful every single day that we were introduced to them, and I hope that you enjoy reading about these incredible and life changing oils!

What are these essential oils?

They are aromatic, volatile liquids extracted from a plant. They are much smaller than the oils that you’re used to in your home. They are not greasy like a cooking or massage oil. They can be absorbed into your body and have an affect on you within seconds. The oils can come from any part of the plant and they are then cold pressed or first distilled to create an aromatic compound. Essential oils are very concentrated. Like very. There really aren’t words for how concentrated these babies are. For example, it takes about 220 pounds of lavender flowers to make approximately 1 pound of lavender essential oil and 60,000 roses to make just one ounce of the highly sought after rose essential oil.

What do essential oils do?

In short, everything! They can travel to any part of the body and literally effect you on the cellular level. They can even get into the cell and repair the DNA of a cell. Whoa. That is why the research being done with essential oils is so exciting! And there are over 10,000 studies being done right now just on PubMed alone.

When a family starts to use high quality essential oils, the results can be and often are, very dramatic. They can help repair skin, build immunity, and about a million other things. Depending on the essential oil, they can be immune enhancing, support the body’s natural defenses, support the immune, circulatory, respiratory, digestive, and nervous systems, aid in maintaining normal cellular regeneration, elevate moods, be oxygenating, boost stamina and energy, be calming, improve mental clarity and promote overall health. I hope you’re seeing that they’re pretty darn awesome.

How do they work so quickly?

Essential oils can actually get into your bloodstream and effect you in as little as 30 seconds. They can enter the bloodstream through topical application, aromatically through diffusers, or internally. There are many studies that discuss the almost immediate changes people can experience when applying or inhaling an essential oil. It’s fascinating what happens in the brain when these amazing oils are inhaled.

Essential Oils 101

Are they safe?

Great question! Essential oils are safe when used as recommended. They need to be properly diluted, especially for infants and children. You can read more about HOW to use them below.

Is the quality or company important?

Yes! A resounding yes! While you can go to Whole Foods and grab the essential oils they have on their shelves, it’s not such a good idea. Let me tell you why. Essential oils are not a regulated industry by the FDA or any other governing body. You can have an essential oil be 3% pure essential oil and still be labeled as “pure”. I’m not going to take that chance with my family. I have no idea what chemicals or synthetics could be in the rest of the 97% of the oil.

Who do you recommend?

After much research and literally years of sampling, I recommend Young Living essential oils without hesitation. They are a company that is completely transparent about their oils and I trust them. You NEED to know who you are getting your oils from, because of what I explained above. This also helps explain why it’s so important. While there are several good companies, I chose Young Living because of their 20 year track record with safety and purity, as well as their amazing variety of oils that they offer.

Essential Oils 101

They are transparent and I trust their “seed to seal” process. You are welcome to visit their farms and facilities anytime you like, which many of my friends have! Check out their Seed to Seal home page HERE! It’s amazing to see them in action!

Essential Oils 101

How do you use them?

You can use Young Living oils topically, aromatically or internally.

Topically is the most widely used application in my household. You dilute with a carrier oil (olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil) and apply them to the bottoms of your feet or to an area that is bothering you. It goes directly into your bloodstream and can begin to affect you almost immediately.

Aromatically is another great and super safe way to use essential oils. You put water and 5-6 drops of essential oils into a diffuser (not humidifier). An awesome and often amazing smelling way to boost mood, support immunity, and promote wellness.

Internally is the final way you can use essential oils. I always want everyone to remember that essential oils are very powerful. The directions on the label should always be read before ingesting, and I would only ingest the Vitality Collection from Young Living as these are made and produced specifically for internal usage.

What can I use them for?

EVERYTHING! I think the more appropriate question is…what can you NOT use them for? And I’m saying that in all seriousness. We use them for wellness, mood support, cleaning, fighting mold in our home, and about a hundred other things. Seriously, a hundred. If you’re ready to get rolling and get some of these essential oils into your home, then don’t hesitate! You will not regret this decision!


Want to learn more about essential oils? Click the button below to get access to the FREE Essential Oils course.