There is a lot going on right now in our world, and I have to say that I’ve been pretty shocked at the panic that has been happening over the last couple of weeks. Toilet paper out of stock at every Costco, hand sanitizers nowhere to be found, and rice and beans nearly impossible to find in stores!
Ten years ago, this was me. The swine flu was starting to sweep across the country, and I. Was. Terrified. Like legit terrified. I had a 2 month old, and I was sure it was going to take us all down. While I did have some friends get it, and it did seem pretty darn miserable, the whole thing blew over just as quickly as it seemed to start.
Wherever you are in this whole spectrum of responses, I wanted to share a few thoughts with you before we dive into this awesome Instant Pot respiratory support syrup.
1. Be PROactive instead of REactive
I have learned over the last decade that health is a full time gig. It’s not eating broccoli every few weeks or exercising here or there. Or even having the right supplements. It’s consistently supporting your body and reducing toxins. Our immune system should always be in good shape. I realize that stress happens and sometimes it’s a challenge to eat well, but for the most part, we should be focusing on how to keep our bodies up for whatever comes our way – whether it’s a massive virus or a small cold.
Here is our family’s list for being proactive instead of reactive in all this…
- Eat foods with good nutrients and vitamins
- Prioritize sleep
- Supplement with products that support the systems we’re focused on
- Be informed but not fearful
- Wash hands regularly or use non-toxic hand spray
- Make our home a place of rest and recovery
2. Look ahead to see the challenges
In our local area, I’m not seeing reports of digestive issues or stomach bugs. News reports are consistently talking about respiratory issues so I am supporting the respiratory system more than I normally would. Lots of respiratory support oils, diffusing at night, and making sure we’re using our air filters. Nice and simple.
3. Use the Instant Pot
Sounds silly, right? My Instant Pot is getting some serious work these days. We’re rotating making elderberry syrup (and gummies!), chicken broth, nutrient rich soups, and yes, cough syrup! I love how simple it is, and it really does help to have one in your home, especially during the winter time. It truly saves us a ton of money and time! And I have a special Homemade Respiratory Cough Syrup below that I wanted to share with you too. Seriously the Instant Pot is a life savior.
HOMEMADE RESPIRATORY COUGH SYRUP INGREDIENTS
I did quite a bit of research to figure out what I thought would be best for our family as we’re gathering helpful items for this season. These topped my list at the end of the day.
Thyme – Not only is thyme one of my favorite herbs to put in salad dressings and poultry, it is a powerful cough suppressant! Leslie Solomonian a doctor of naturopathic medicine explains that “the volatile oils in the plant have an effect on the cough reflex, calming the tendency to cough.” I can get behind that!
Turmeric – A well known anti-inflammatory that is so helpful for all that ails. The medicinal part of turmeric that helps with inflammation is curcumin. It is becoming more widely known as a helpful support while dealing with chest congestion and phlegm.
Ginger – We love adding ginger to our homemade remedies whenever possible. It helps boost the immune system, supports the respiratory system, and even relieves nausea when digestion is off.
Garlic – Not much needs to be said about this antibacterial powerhouse of an herb. We have seen incredible results in our home, and I load up on this in food as much as possible whenever something starts circulating. One of my favorite ways is to actually eat lots of salad with this Paleo friendly and absolutely delicious 2 minute balsamic!
Lemon – A well known immune booster and detox support. Lemon is soothing for the throat as well!
Manuka Honey – Research is continuing to mount on this natural tool. Honey has been used for centuries to combat numerous types of health ailments, but manuka honey in particular has antibacterial qualities that are powerful. The higher the UMF rating on the bottle, the more potent that aspect will be. I look for a minimum of at least 10, but will buy higher if it’s available!
Sea Salt – Believe it or not, sea salt is one of the most effective healing tools in our home. Adding sea salt to water or under your tongue can increase your body’s ability to absorb minerals which is often a significant issue with sickness or dehydration. I love adding sea salt to our concoctions whenever possible to make sure our body is absorbing those important minerals that we need!
**Optional – Copaiba Vitality Essential Oil We’ve found Copaiba to be one of the most soothing and supportive oils for respiratory issues and throat in our family. It’s calming to the nervous system and helps balance the body and calm the lungs!
- One bunch thyme
- Thumb sized bit of turmeric – scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 2” size chunk of fresh ginger – scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic – peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 cup manuka honey (raw honey can be substituted)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- **5 drops Copaiba Vitality
HOMEMADE RESPIRATORY COUGH SYRUP RECIPE
Put the thyme and freshly chopped turmeric, ginger, and garlic into the instant pot with 2 cups water. Put the IP on simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
Let the herbs remain in the warm water while it cools.
Strain the turmeric, garlic and thyme out of the IP.
Add the honey, lemon, and sea salt and gently mix until totally combined.
Add this really healthy homemade respiratory cough syrup to some mason jars and keep in the fridge to use when needed! It should stay good for up to 2 months. You can take this straight from a spoon OR add a teaspoon to warm water and drink as a tea for an immune boost whenever needed.
What other things do we use in our home to support the respiratory system? I know you were wondering 😉
- Essential Oils – If you haven’t read my story, go check it out. And if you are ready to learn more, be sure to hop into my FREE essential oils for beginners course! You’ll have all the basics down in less than 30 min.
- Ningxia Red – my other amazing powerhouse. Ningxia Red is an antioxidant powerhouse drink that we use in our home every day. If you’re looking to detox, increase energy or for an “easy button” to push when it comes to health, check this out!
- Elderberry syrup – can’t love this enough. We use it daily during the cold and flu season and our kids love the gummies!
- Detoxing the home – I know, it’s not a product. But we DO know that toxic load is a huge piece of the puzzle when it comes to staying well. We’ve found that this is the simplest change to make with the biggest impact. We absolutely love the cleaners that we’ve found. Check them out here!