I’ve been experimenting with these all week trying to find the right balance of essential oils, mix of flours, and lemon flavors! I think I’ve finally settled in on a great flavor with the option of thinner, crunchier cookies and thicker, softer cookies! They have a great almost shortbread flavor, and although they do have butter, they are refined sugar free and grain free. Hope you enjoy them!
If you don’t have good quality essential oils yet, you can get some HERE! And if you’d like to read more about why these are our most used health tool in our home, click HERE. Both of these amazing Vitality oils come in the Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup grass fed butter or 1/2 cup palm shortening for dairy free
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 drops Lavender Vitality Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- 2 teaspoons xylitol
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a stand mixer or food processor, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, and sea salt.
- Add the maple syrup, juice from lemon, and essential oils and mix until combined.
- Drop the butter or shortening into the mixing bowl in 1 tablespoon increments for easier incorporation. Pulse a few times until a crumbly ball forms.
- Place the ball of dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. With a rolling pin, roll into a 1/2 inch thick disk. Cut into rectangular pieces and separate carefully so the cookies bake evenly. Picture below!
- Move the parchment paper with cookies on to the baking sheet.
- Mix together the xylitol and lemon zest and sprinkle over the top of the cookies.
- Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Once baked, place on a cooling rack to cool. Once fully cooled, store in air-tight container or bag in the fridge.
- Be sure to add a little bit of a sprinkle of xylitol on the top while cooling for an added sweetness
**For a crunchier shortbread type flavor, roll to 1/4 inch thick and make sure to bake until the edges are golden brown.
**For a softer cookie, roll to 1/2 inch thick and bake until barely brown on the edges.
**Be sure to rotate halfway through if oven does not bake evenly.
**Make sure to let these cool for at least 30 minutes before trying! The flavors will blend more and it will lose any bitter taste from the Lavender.