Hey mama, what a crazy time this is! No matter where you are living or what your circumstances look like right now, I’m guessing that you’ve got an extra layer of stress that is not the norm.
I’m working so hard to take deep breaths, take each day as it comes, and limit my news to the really important info that I truly need to know. I believe that we still have a God who is sitting on His throne and still completely in control. Even when the world feels completely out of control.
I can also guess that you’ve felt completely overwhelmed and paralyzed by the amount of information coming at you. I’m someone who absolutely LOVES to research and really dive into studies and stats. And friends, I’m hitting my limit. Normally, I can sit for up to a few hours at night and look at articles, numbers and whatever relevant info I’m finding in regards to the topic I’m looking at. But boy, this is a new level.
So of course I’m researching what I believe is best for our family as we work hard to ramp up our immune systems, decrease stress, and follow the sound advice of those around us.
You’re probably under a rock if you haven’t heard about vitamin C as an immune support. Or maybe you’re just trying to figure out school for your kids for the first time while staying at home and maintaining a distance of 6 feet from everyone else. Either way, I was looking for a way to get vitamin C in my kids that didn’t feel like a total drag every day. So I came up with a recipe for my Lemon Honey Vitamin-C Gummies that are healthy and my kids love them.
I had a lemon and honey gummy recipe that they absolutely love and I decided to take it up a notch by adding in some Vitamin C.
Lemons are a fantastic source of natural vitamin C, but we like to take some higher doses during the winter. So I thought why not grab the ascorbic acid and mix it right in! Perfect!
It’s not a perfectly measured amount but as long as the ascorbic acid is totally dissolved, you can just continue to mix and it should be approximately 1000mg per gummy. Or whatever you decide to use!
I’m not going to throw a bunch of research out right now, because I believe this is a time when we need to make decisions for our own families with the information we find. I have found great information and resources in a Facebook group called Vitamin C & Orthomolecular Medicine For Optimal Health. There is great introductory info, info on “synthetic” vs “natural”, vitamin C protocols, liposomal vitamin C and more. I’ve found it to be a great resource, and you’re welcome to dive in and find more info for yourself!
Our lemon bush is virtually throwing lemons at us whenever we walk past right now, so I thought this would be a perfect time of year to get this Lemon Honey Vitamin-C Gummy recipe up and help us use those lemons! You can obviously grab whatever you need at the store as well.
And of course the gelatin is a huge support for the gut which I always love to incorporate! Focusing on the gut during the winter season is an absolute must, so this really is an incredible gummy to get into your kids every day. And if you mamas are going to down the gummies, I won’t tell 😉 In fact, I fully support it!
- 3/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Grass Fed Gelatin
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 16 g ascorbic acid – I used 4 teaspoons of NutriBiotic Ascorbic Acid powder
- Optional: 2-4 Drops Favorite Essential Oils (we love Wild Orange or Tangerine)
**I love incorporating essential oils into recipes with nutrients and minerals as they’re a great activator of getting nutrition into the cell.
- Warm 1/4 cup of lemon juice over low heat until warm
- Slowly sprinkle in gelatin and whisk until lumps are no longer present
- Immediately pour this into a blender and turn on low with the sodium ascorbate until thoroughly mixed in.
- Add in the rest of the freshly squeezed lemon juice as well as honey to taste and Vitality oils
- Blend as low possible to make sure all the gelatin is blended and no clumps are left
- Immediately pour into silicone molds or a glass tupperware (usually 8×8 works well for this amount) Put in the fridge and they should be ready in one hour
- I divided this into 16 gummies so I could easily give them their gummies, knowing it was approximately 1000mg per gummy. You’re welcome to change according to your families needs!
**Honey amount will vary depending on tartness of lemons. Don’t be surprised if you need almost the same amount as the lemon juice!
**This recipes can easily be made in large batches. Do 1 Tablespoon gelatin per 1/4 Cup lemon juice and honey to taste.