You know that recipe that just makes you smile? It reminds you of being a kid. Or maybe of snuggling on the couch on a rainy day? Well, mama, that is exactly what this Lentil stew recipe is for me! It’s that family recipe that everyone knows pretty much by heart, and it just makes the day better.
This lentil stew was given to my mom by one of her dear friends, and we’ve made it as long as I can remember. As soon as the weather turned cool, it was on the stove. I have distinct memories of watching my mom make it and getting so excited to dig in with my sourdough toast from the local shop!
I’ve revised the recipe just a touch to up the nutritional value and give it some immune boosting goodness!
You’ve got veggies, gut healing and high nutrient broth, protein filled lentils and good carbs in brown rice. It truly is a one pot meal! We like to quadruple it and have it to munch on for lunches and easy dinners throughout the week.
It is also delish if you want to add a dollop of organic cultured sour cream. A good greek yogurt would work too! And of course, if you can find yourself a well sourced sourdough or gluten free loaf, it would be dreamy together.
- ¼ C butter (sub Nutiva shortening if dairy free is needed)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup lentil
- 16 oz canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 16 oz canned diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 5 garlic cloves – chopped or minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (optional)
- Saute together the butter, celery and onion until soft.
- Add in the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth and lentils and let it simmer for 20 min.
- Prep the rest of the ingredients while the lentils cook.
- Add in the tomatoes, rice, carrots and spices and simmer for another 45-60 minutes.
**Ok to sub water for broth if you don’t have any
**Use organic ingredients if possible!